This post may contain affiliate links. If you click my link I'll earn a commission without costing you a dime. Read my disclosure policy. For greater details
Maternity clothes for twin pregnancy
If you’re curious about twin maternity clothes whether about when you should buy them and/or how quickly your belly will grow with twins.
Then you’re at the right place.
I know once we received the news of twins besides going into twin information overload we also wonder what the heck would I wear once my belly continues to grow and grow.
I am going to answer some of the most common questions about twin pregnancy maternity clothes.
Even though you’re pregnant with twins no need to look frumpy or be uncomfortable.
These tips and tricks will help you decided what you can wear when pregnant with twins as well as when should you start wearing maternity clothes.
- Each twin pregnancy is unique
- Focusing on comfort
- The what, where, and when of twin maternity clothes
- How fast does your belly grow?
- How to get cheap and free clothing
- What to consider when shopping for maternity clothes
Each twin pregnancy is unique
Something to remember before even buying clothes is that each twin pregnancy is so different.
What might work for my pregnancy might not work for yours. And that’s ok.
So what’s comfortable to me is not to you, how quickly my belly grows vs yours, etc. You get the point.
Just take everything with a grain of salt. And focus on your unique journey.
Do everything when it feels right to YOU.
Focus on comfort
The number one thing I can tell you after having had two pregnancies is that comfort is so important especially as you advance in your twin pregnancy.
You’re going to feel so heavy, out of breath, fatigue, etc. The last thing you want to deal with is clothing that’s itchy, tight everywhere, and that just doesn’t make you feel good.
The what, where, and when of twin maternity clothes
What to wear when pregnant with twins?
Because you don’t want to spend a lot of money and in order to keep the wardrobe minimalistic then focus on creating a capsule wardrobe.
Buy the bare minimum and as your needs change then buy more.
- Wear and buy items that are loose, comfortable, and stretchy
- Wear neutral colors like black, white, grey, nude. These colors can be a mismatch. So you could buy black leggings, a white top, and a grey top.
- And mismatch those items to create multiple outfits.
- Leggins and tunic tops were my BFF
- Cotton is also a good breathable fabric to keep in mind
Where to buy maternity clothes?
The options are endless. These days everyone is selling everything. But where I would start?
I would first focus on places like Target, Amazon, and Old Navy to buy basic items like leggings, bras, tops.
If you’re looking for nicer clothing either for work or special occasions then I would go to a place like motherhoodmaternity, Macys, apeainthepod.
When to start wearing maternity clothes with twins?
There isn’t a timeline when it comes to wearing pregnancy clothes let alone when to start buying maternity clothes with twins. For me, I started wearing it at around 10 weeks.
While with my singleton I didn’t wear it until I was about 28 weeks.
Is really up to you and whether regular clothing is still comfortable or not.
If your regular clothing is starting to get uncomfortable then is time to move to maternity clothing.
But if you already wear a lot of leggings or flowy dresses then you might be able to wear them a lot longer without having to wear maternity clothes.
You could begin shopping for maternity clothes as early as 8 weeks or you can be fine all the way until your third trimester.
It all depends on what you wear already, how comfortable you want to be, and how quickly your twin belly is growing.
How fast does your belly grow with twins?
It can grow pretty quickly but it also varies per person. Don’t get frightening if one day you wake up and stare at the mirror and think what the heck happened.
A big reason I announce my twin pregnancy so early is because I was showing pretty quickly.
So either I was going to get the fat comments which don’t get me started on that or she is pregnant comments.
How quickly your belly grows is also determined by your genetics, if the twin pregnancy is not your first, and so much more.
So you can start showing right away. Meaning in your first trimester or maybe not until your second trimester.
How to get cheap and free twin maternity clothing?
Maternity clothes can get pretty expensive. To our luck, our pregnancy is with twins which means our expenses are only going to go up.
You don’t want to spend a ton of money on items that are only temporary.
These are my best tips and tricks to get clothing either inexpensive or free.
How to get it for cheap:
- Don’t shop at maternity stores: Meaning go to places like Target, Old Navy, etc. The prices at “maternity stores” tend to be higher
- Don’t buy “maternity clothes”. Meaning just buy items in larger sizes than your normal size
- Go to a thrift store
- Garage sale
- Wait for a sale
How to get it for Free:
- Borrow maternity clothes from friends and family
- Hand me downs: if friends or family is offering maternity clothes then don’t say no. Take it.
- Shop your closet or your husband’s closest. I already wear a lot of leggings and tunic tops because you know mom’s uniform. I was able to wear some of my clothes at the beginning of my twin pregnancy.
What to consider when shopping for maternity clothes?
They are different factors that can affect what you need to wear.
- Time of year you’re going to be pregnant
- lifestyle and work
Before you go on a shopping spree think this through.
Or in your case, you might be mostly pregnant during the summer so you could wear a ton of dresses.
Figure out the time of year you’re going to spend the majority of your pregnancy and buy clothing according to that weather.
Lifestyle and work
Again what do you mostly do, where do you spend a lot of your time.
- Are you a stay-at-home mom?
- Do you work for corporate America?
- Do you work at home?
- What do you do on the weekends? Run a lot of errands? Hang out with friends?
Think about all of these questions before buying clothes because it will determine what you truly need and how much of it you need.
Whether you need more leggings because you’re mostly at the house or running errands.
OR you have a corporate job and need slacks, suits, nice shirts.
Minimalistic list of maternity clothes needed
Because each pregnancy is different and you also don’t want to spend a ton of money on maternity clothes.
Keep it simple. If I was to buy clothes right now this is where I would start.
Don’t forget to stick to neutral colors like whites, creams, blacks, grey… Think about your lifestyle and the time of year you will be mostly pregnant.
Keep it simple and buy as you need it. Remember pregnancy is temporary.
The most you will use maternity clothing would be postpartum. But after that is done.
And if you’re not planning on having any more kids after the twins then don’t go overboard.
Last words for twin pregnancy maternity clothes
When buying maternity clothes focus on your unique needs and buy as you go. Focus on being comfortable and also what best suits your lifestyle.
In the end, this information was provided to give you some ideas but you truly know what’s best for you and your pregnant body.
Share with us in the comments if these tips were helpful and also where you bought your maternity clothes?
More Twin articles:
- Tips for staying healthy during twin pregnancy
- Online twin breastfeeding resources and courses
- How to survive newborn twins
- How to take care of twins alone
- What to pack in your hospital bag for twins
- Preparing for twins checklist